Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Coveting

Do you ever get jealous of what others have?  I am usually jealous of others' lack of debt.  I see people buying new homes or paying cash for things that should be paid with cash, but I just can't find the money for and I get super frustrated.  I think finances is our big challenge in life.  We made some mistakes spending more than we made in our first few years of marriage and it looks like it's going to affect us for 10 years.  What other mistakes have such lasting impacts?  Why do other people have such amazing self discipline?  How do they make grocery budgets work on 35 dollars a week?  I want that.  We are trying SUPER hard to get out of debt and simplify life, but we still make mistakes.  We take the easy road (going out to dinner, anyone?) and give into our wants instead of saying no sometimes.  And then I read about how some families are paying cash for things like a HOME or the only debt they have is a home.  I try to remember that I have no idea what other people's challenges are.  We ALL have trials, even if they aren't as obvious as others.  In the meantime, I am grateful I have a beautiful, HEALTHY family and a roof over my head (even if I'm not paying for that roof).  One day, we'll learn our lesson, but then what will our trial be?  That thought scares me a little.  Maybe I like struggling financially...

1 comments:

Amanda said...

It's very, very hard. I know I struggle with coveting too. But, like you said, you never know what other people are going through AND you also never know if these people that have all these things can really afford them or if they're also going into debt by buying them. The thought of having to pay for our kids' weddings, missions, college, our retirement, etc. seems so overwhelming when sometimes just the present seems overwhelming too. I wish I had some profound words of advice. I just have to keep telling myself, "We don't need this" or "we can't afford that." We had to make the conscious switch between thinking that technically there is money in our account and we COULD buy it, but we shouldn't. I've also learned that we never regret it when we save money. I make a meal plan which helps me avoid the temptation to go out to eat and saves money on groceries. And when I am feeling lazy or want to go out, I'll make a Bobili or something that's quick, easy and almost feels like we're going out. It may sound lame though. lol. Good luck! And I also think financial trials can be a lot better than some of the other stuff out there!