Thursday, November 11, 2010

Advice

So with baby #2 coming so quickly behind Ben, I've been considering several things.  With Ben, we did without a swing and a high chair.  We were given one of those infant to toddler rockers and I became very adept at rocking him with my foot while I pumped or whatever.  For a high chair, we use the booster seat that came with the bumbo wannabe from babies r us.  The lack of a tray is a bit of a bummer, but we make do and we now just scoot him up to the table.  A swing sounds almost invaluable with 2 little munchkins.  That way, I can put the baby in the swing and take care of Ben, without having to lay the baby on the floor.  A highchair also sounds nice this time around and Ben can still eat from the booster.  Either way, I'll have to buy some sort of feeding chair so that they can eat at the same time.  I have a swing and a high chair that I like, but I want to know...what are your favorites?  Are they really worth it or can I save some cash and not buy one or both?  Have you heard anything about the fisher price one that turns from swing to high chair?  If I buy something, I would like to buy something that's going to last through all of my kids. 

Another issue is the stroller.  Do I really need a double?  They are going to be 17 months apart.  I have an infant carrier.  Could I get by with that for the baby and then when he/she gets too heavy, make Ben walk?  I found a stroller that I love because it fits my eddie bauer car seat and allows them to face either direction.  But it's heavy.  like REALLY heavy.  and it's 200 dollars.  (Although that's signifantly cheaper than the Peg Perego that I fell in love with earlier...)   Pretty much all other tandem strollers that take a car seat have to be the same brand.  Eddie Bauer doesn't make tandem strollers and I don't want to have to buy a new car seat, too. 

The last issue is the crib.  Do I buy a second cheap crib for the baby until Ben is ready for a toddler bed?  Or do I introduce him to the toddler bed and hope for the best?  Or should the baby go in a bassinet until Ben is ready for a bed?  How long did a bassinet last for you?  Which one did you buy?  What did you like about it?  What would you differently if given the chance?  They are going to be in the same room...any tips?  I don't want to wake Ben up everytime I need to feed the baby and I don't want him to keep the baby up.  I see some very long nights in my future.  haha. 

I could really use the suggestions! 

2 comments:

Ashley and Spencer Bunn said...

I have a swing and a high chair but with Kaylee being my first i got them purchased for me but I love having both since I can't really feed in the swing. So it's really up to you, I never knew there was a swing/high chair in one if there is that would probably be your best bet.
For the stroller have you tried looking at a second hand store and see if there is a used sit-n-stand that you can purchase? I have a friend who loves hers and i hear great things about them. (the standing part does have a seat too)
I put Kaylee in her toddler bed before she was 18 months i think and she did fine just fell off a few times. I only have my children in the bassinet for a few weeks 1: because they never really liked it and 2 I don't think they need to be in the bassinet very long (my own opinion lol). hope that helps

Amanda said...

Seeing as I only have one small child, I don't have experience with everything, but I do have some advice to offer. We didn't get a swing at first because they're expensive, but then we got one as a gift. It was a lifesaver when I was cooking dinner and when I needed to shower or when I just needed her to go to sleep and I was exhausted. BUT, she's only 3 months old and already doesn't really like it. But, every baby's different. One of my friends let me borrow one of those vibrating bouncy chair things and that's her new favorite thing. Those are smaller and significantly less expensive so I'd almost recommend one of those more. I personally think you need some place to put the baby so you can get stuff done.
Stephanie just got one of those Fisher Price booster seat things with a tray that you strap to a chair. My mom also got one of those for Lexi's Christmas present and we're planning on using that instead of a high chair. Again, cheaper (I think $20 or $25 at Big Lots or WalMart) and much smaller and easier to store.
I'd recommend looking for baby stuff like this at Big Lots or craigslist or something like that. Good luck! Hope this kinda helps:)